Camp Geronimo 2020 - July 1 Update

Post Reply
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Camp Geronimo 2020 - July 1 Update

Post by Matthew.Graham »


Camp Geronimo's first session is underway, and we are continuing to monitor additional concerns that may arise due to Covid-19. Our Director of Outdoor Adventure, Greg Harmon, is attending the session with his own Troop and family to ensure that the program is operating safely and with all best practices in operation.

The documents detailing our Camp's adjustments and alterations due to Covid-19 are available at, including our FAQs from the Parent/Leader pre-camp webinars, the Health Officer Duties and Job Description for each participating unit, and the pre-screening checklist. You may also watch a recording of our last webinar, in which we answered the questions of our parents and leaders.

Gov. Ducey's recent announcement regarding the closure of bars, water parks, gyms, and theaters, as well as group events over 50 people do not apply to Camp Geronimo. Due to our cohort model, troops will be dispersed across camp and remain within their own camp site, with itinerant merit badge counselors providing program as they visit site by site throughout the week. Separate cohorts will not intermingle, and will remain less than 20 people to a group. Cohorts may rotate to specific sites such as the Nature Lodge or Health Lodge for specific merit badges, and sites will be heavily sanitized between rotations. This plan has been not only approved by Gila County Health Department, but also adopted by it, meaning that Gila County is using Camp Geronimo's plan as the basis for their own efforts.

Concerning refunds, our policy has not changed. Units have until 30 days before the start of any Grand Canyon Council camp program to receive a full refund, after which point food, program supplies, and staffing adjustments are made to account for the registrants' participation. The thirty day deadline for Camp Geronimo's 2020 summer program has passed, and all current registrations have food and program materials at Camp waiting for them. Any refunds from this point forward will require a doctor's note that the Scout or leader should not attend camp, and refunds will be given with the exception of the non-refundable $125, as expenses have already been made in preparation for registrants participation.

If anyone has any questions, please feel welcome to email me or call our office to speak with our Camp Registrar Donna.
Program Director
Grand Canyon Council

Post Reply